We travel a lot, and at times being vegan in less developed countries than where we are from (Canada) we are challenged to be more creative with the food we have access to . However, we always make due with what we can find so this video is showcasing the way we ate while in Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica.
When we are home in Toronto, we have many other things we like to eat, include, and cook with so that will come on the next “what I eat in a day…Canadian version” blog!
Mark and I have been vegan for over 5 years now and it was and continues to be the best decision we’ve ever made. Not only do we feel better, lighter, and more full of energy but we also live a lifestyle that we know contributes less to the endless suffering of innocent animals and to the destruction of our planet.
Below are the recipes to the dishes you saw us create in this video.
Hot Oatmeal ♥ Serves: 1-2
– 1/2 cup Quick Rolled Oats
(raw NOT pre packaged with additives & sugar)
– 1 tbsp coconut oil
– 1 tbsp Hemp Seeds
– 1 tsp Chia Seeds
– 1 tsp Raw Brown Sugar
– Fresh fruit of your choice
( bananas, berries, papaya, mango, peach etc.)
1. Soak oatmeal in boiling water for 2-4 min.
2. Add hemp seeds, chia seeds, brown sugar, and coconut oil.
3. Stir well, top with fresh fruit.
Guacamole Toast ♥ Serves: 1-2
– 2 slices Sprouted Whole Grain Bread
– 1 Avocado
– 2-3 tbsp Almond Milk ( can be soy, hemp, rice, or coconut milk)
– 1 Tomato (chopped)
– 1 tsp Lime Juice ( freshly squeezed lime)
– dash of cayenne pepper to taste
– 1/2 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
1. Peel avocado, add almond milk and blend with a fork until it becomes a mixture.
2. Add cayenne pepper and lime juice. Stir well.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes and stir.
4. Spread the guacamole on bread and add a small touch of balsamic vinegar.
We love snacking on many different healthy foods. Some of our favourite are:
– Hummus and rice crackers/raw veggies
– Fresh Fruit
– Many different fruit smoothies
– Raw nuts and dried fruits
(raisins, apples, cranberries, apricots, dates)
– Rice and whole grain crackers
– Protein Shakes
The Rise and Grind Shake ♥
– 2 cups Ice
– 2 Bananas
-1 cup Almond Milk (Unsweetened) or other plant based milk of choice
– 1 tbsp Almond Butter
– 1/2 cup Coffee (or espresso shot)
– 1 scoop Vanilla/Chocolate VegaOne Protein Powder
Blend all ingredients in a blender and enjoy!
Veggie Fajitas/ Taco ♥ Serves: 2-4
– 1 tsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
– 1 cup Organic Medium-Mild Salsa
– 1 cup Texturized Vegetable Protein (TVP)
– 2-4 Whole Wheat Tortilla Wraps
– 1 small Zucchini
– 4-5 Mushrooms
– 1/2 Onion (small)
– 1/2 Pepper (any colour)
– 1/2 Brown Rice (if making a lettuce wrap)
– 2 cloves Garlic
– 1 tsp Cumin
– 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
– 1 tsp Taco Spice
– 1 Avocado
– 2 tbsp Refried Beans
1. Soak TVP in hot water for 2-3 min
2. On medium heat, stir-fry the all veggies except onions, avocado and garlic with olive oil.
3. In a separate pan, fry onions and garlic. Add the TVP and mix well for 1- 2 min.
4. Add salsa and spices to the TVP Mixture.
5. Slice avocados and pour the veggie and TVP mixture over a whole wheat tortilla wrap with refried beans.
* If using a lettuce leaf add some brown rice to the mixture, roll it up and enjoy your veggie burrito!
Black Bean Brown Rice Veggie Bowl ♥ Serves: 2-4
– 1 cup Brown Rice (cooked)
* also can be quinoa or couscous
– Black Beans (fresh is better but if short on time canned is a good option)
– 1 handful Green Beans
– 1/2 cup Corn
– 1/2 Onion
– 1/2 Zucchini
– 1/2 Avocado
– 2 Handfulls Spinach
– 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
– 1/2 tsp Cumin
– 1 tsp Basil
– 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1. Cook the brown rice in a pot or rice cooker.
2. Stir fry all veggies, beans and spice ( except avocado) adding spinach at the very end.
3. Serve over bed of brown rice and garnish with slices of avocado.
Plant Based Brands And Alternative Meat/Cheese Companies:
Texturized Vegetable Protein: http://www.bobsredmill.com/tvp-textured-veg-protein.html
VegaOne Protein Powder and Products: https://myvega.com
Shot In Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica